On May 27, 2010, at 4:58 PM, Jim Gibson wrote:

> On 5/27/10 Thu  May 27, 2010  4:51 PM, "Bob Sadri" <bob.m.sa...@gmail.com>
> scribbled:
>
>> Hi
>> I have a perl script that calls a csh script.  The csh script sources some
>> environment variables (among others).  When the control comes back to my
>> perl script I like to use the environment variables set in the csh script.
>> However, since this has happened in the child shell environment I am not
>> able to see the variables.
>> Can someone help me with this problem?
>
> Consult the advice given by 'perldoc -q environment'. Short answer: "can't
> be done".

Well, if you are allowed to modify the csh script, you can make it print the
variables to a file or
stdout, and capture that output.
If you know what file it sources, you could read that file and get the
variables.
I would say that if your Perl script needs to know what environment the csh
script is using, and it is part of
a larger application that includes the csh script, then the environment-setting
should be made
a public interface that is accessible to your Perl script.  But if you are just
trying
to snoop on what the csh script is doing, you are out of luck.
--Marilyn