From: Uri Guttman

>  BM> Yes, that was all one line. Lookout doesn't give me any options
>  BM> prevent it from wrapping. Microsoft _always_ believe they know
what's
>  BM> best for you.
>
> so don't use outhouse for mail. simple!

Not my choice. It is decreed from on high and cannot be changed as long
as I need a regular paycheck.

>  BM> In the meantime, I need to know what the difference is between
the 3.17
>  BM> and 3.21 archives on CPAN. Why does one work and the other not?
>
> i can't imagine anything diff on the cpan modules as i did unzip both
of
> them. it must be something with your local box and setup. not much
more
> i can do from here. sorry.

Looking at the two tar files with a binary viewer after uncompressing
them through gzip, I see several differences, but other than the
obvious, I don't know which are significant. The obvious difference is
that the tar file headers for 3.17 all have absolute paths for each
file. The 3.21 headers do not. The 3.21 headers also contain more fields
and some are padded differently, but I don't know what effect this would
have.

Doing a text comparison also suggests that 3.17 was in a Subversion
archive, while 3.21 is now in a GIT archive. I don't believe that should
have any impact on this problem, but it does suggest there may have been
some tooling changes that could contribute to this problem.

Has the tar file format been changed in the last, say ten years or so?
Or are there variations that not all utilities will recognize?

Bob McConnell