On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 08:15, Kuba <snmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> How can I install additional perl modules on the linux if I don't have
> root privileges on the box?
> Can I install any modules to the $HOME directory and use them at my
> scripts?
> Thank you in advance,
> Kuba
snip

A combination of [local::lib][0] and [cpanm][1] makes this easy. You
can install both with this [simple][2] command:

wget -O- http://cpanmin.us | perl - -l ~/perl5 --prompt local::lib
App::cpanminus

You will need to add the following line to you profile (e.g.
~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile):

eval `perl -I ~/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib`

That sets up all of the environment variables you need to access the
modules and programs installed in ~/perl5.  You may also want to write
wrapper shell scripts for all of your Perl scripts to execute that
line before trying to run them in cron or any other environment that
does not source your profile.

After logging out and back in, installing modules should be as easy as saying

cpanm Module::Name

You might want the following line to your profile.  The cpanm program
will use whatever options you put in the PERL_CPANM_OPT variable.

export PERL_CPANM_OPT="--skip-installed --prompt"

 [0]: http://search.cpan.org/dist/local-lib/lib/local/lib.pm
 [1]: http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-cpanminus/bin/cpanm
 [2]: Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder.

--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net