Kammen van, Marco, Springer SBM NL <marco.vankam...@springer.com> asked:
> I have an issue when something goes wrong with the client that's trying
> to connect.
>
> 9 out of 10 times this works fine, but there are odd situations where
> $clientip doesn't get filled in, which leaves me with a connection I
> can't do anything with...
>
> I tried to use close($client) to just terminate these odd connections
> when $clientip is empty but that doesn't work..

>From my understanding of sockets (strictly limited ;-)) you'll need to call
>$client->shutdown( $how ):

>From perlfunc:

  shutdown SOCKET,HOW

  Shuts down a socket connection in the manner indicated by HOW, which has the
same interpretation as in the system call of the same name.

    shutdown(SOCKET, 0);    # I/we have stopped reading data
    shutdown(SOCKET, 1);    # I/we have stopped writing data
    shutdown(SOCKET, 2);    # I/we have stopped using this socket

  This is useful with sockets when you want to tell the other side you're done
writing but not done reading, or vice versa.  It's also a more insistent form
of close because it also disables the file descriptor in any forked copies in
other processes.

HTH,
Thomas