In article <001201c144fb$4a1ba3d0$ec00a8c0@boxx>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Sascha Kersken) wrote:

> Perl 5.6 provides the 'our' statement as opposite to 'my': it makes a
> variable global to a file in which it's used.

it declares a package variable, actually.  if you aren't in its
package, then you have to use the full package specification to
get to it.  it's not a global variable in the sense that something
like $_ is global (even though it lives in main::).

my() is not really the opposite of our(), either.  it limits the
the variable to whatever scope it is in, and a file is a type of
scope. :)
--
brian d foy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Perl services for hire
CGI Meta FAQ - http://www.perl.org/CGI_MetaFAQ.html