----- Original Message ----- From: "Mariano Loza Coll" <malozac...@gmail.com>
To: <beginners@perl.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:35 PM
Subject: trying to install a cpan module

Hi all,

I'm new to programming, and only recently did I start playing around with
command prompts, etc, so it's probably no surpise that I'm having some
difficulty trying to install a module using cpan. The module
Math:GSL (GSL-0.22 by Jonathan Leto). I'm using ActivePerl 5.12 on Windows
Vista Home Basic.

Here's what I've done so far.
- First, I tried using the PPM. But as far as I could tell, they have a much older version of the module in their repository at U Winnipeg (GSL-0.14 if I
recall correctly).

I built that ppm package, but no longer have access to the uwinnipeg repo - therefore I'm unable to update that repo to Math-GSL-0.22 (though it's sitting here on my desktop waiting to go).

I am currently putting together my own repo (which will house Math-GSL-0.22 along with other modules) - but it might take a few days before the task is completed. If you like I could send you a ppm package (via email) for Math-GSL-0.22 (for perl 5.12 - though my repo will also house packages for 5.8, 5.10 and x64 5.12).

That would involve emailing you a ppd file (a few Kb), Math-GSL-0.22_512.tar.gz(2.36 Mb), libgsl-0.dll (5.87 Mb) and a libgslcblas-0.dll (1.14 Mb). Is that feasible ? Faik, gmail probably blocks files with 'tar.gz' and '.dll' extensions. (The files would, of course, be sent in separate emails - and once you have all those files, installation will be trivial.)

Otherwise I can just send you notification of when the ppm repo (including Math-GSL-0.22) is up and running ... if I don't forget ;-)

cpan > install "Math:GSL"

A lot happened, and at the end I got a message that went more or less like
this:

ExtUtils::PkgConfig is currently needed to find GSL for the compilation of
this module.

IIRC, ExtUtils::PkgConfig on Windows needs to find a glib dll before it will install. And Math::GSL needs to see that ExtUtils::PkgConfig is installed before it can be built.

First up try:
cpan > install ExtUtils::PkgConfig

and see where that leads.

If you can get that installed you then need to find suitable gsl dll's so that Math::GSL can build and install.

Cheers,
Rob