  PK> I was under the impression that regex modifier '/x' ignores the
  PK> white space. So in following script both the if-else blocks should
  PK> print "Match" since the strings differ only in white space and
  PK> '/x' should ignore the white space.

/x only ignores white space in the regex itself, not in the data. /x is
meant to allow regexes to be spread out and over multiple lines by using
(ignored) white space for formatting. /x also allows comments which are
very helpful in complex regexes.

  PK> But looks like my understanding of '/x' is wrong. Could someone please
  PK> correct me and explain the below behavior.

yes, you have misunderstood it. where did you read or learn that /x
ignores whitespace in the data?

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  u...@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --