Ron Bergin wrote:
It's interesting that you found the warning message to be meaningless,
but the exact same message was helpful when you told the pragma to
raise the level of warnings to be fatal.

I should have said nearly the same message.  Both messages told you where
the problem was located and with that info it should have been easy to
find/fix the problem.  In my mind that's not meaningless.

The root cause problem is that "perldoc -f print" does not describe what happens on error. I've filed a perlbug report to this effect.

David