Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
On 2/23/2011 11:32 PM, John W. Krahn wrote:
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Think of this as a chance to educate. If you were teaching a math
class in elementary school and a child asked how to add 2 + 2 would
you tell them to get a calculator? The NNTP protocol is very simple and
this only uses a few of it's commands.

The code works on older FreeBSD, and on a modern Ubuntu system running
the same version of Perl as on the newer FreeBSD. I have to thus
assume the problem isn't the code, the problem is something inherent
in how Perl is implemented on FreeBSD 8.X. I just don't know what it is.

That all depends on how you define "works"?

Displays the posts (articles) on a web interface.

The program 'readmsg' has
some serious problems with incorrect regular expressions.

I'm sure it does. Cheap hacks have always characterized Usenet.

And if you
compile the programs with warnings enabled you will get a few messages.

Well, unfortunately there is a huge lack of web-to-Usenet interfaces out
there that are open source (ie: free) Most folks that are content with
a Usenet webinterface can get their web access from Google Groups. So
there is little incentive for many ISP's to field a web-to-news
interface and far less than that for anyone to write one.

It has already been written, and I've even used it myself: Net::NNTP

The readnews interface is one of the few out there and although it is
probably classed as "antique" software, it still works fine.

Antique yes!  It is written for Perl4 which is about 18 years old.

John
direction.                   -- Albert Einstein