Hi all,

I have a script which takes a string of alphabetic characters as an argument,
generates all combinations of the characters and all permutations of the
combinations, then looks up each result in a list of valid words, if the result
is a valid word it gets stored in an array.
I would like to be able to specify "any alphabetic character" from the command
line.  Is there a clean way of doing this?  I thought that I could search the
string for such characters and cycle through all legal combinations, but this
does seem particularly clean...

I've had a look about and found lots of things about using wildcards from the
command line that the shell deals with, but nothing about using a wildcard or
otherwise inside a script which was declared on the command line...

Many thanks for your time,

Ben