On 4/7/11 Thu  Apr 7, 2011  10:48 AM, "Balaji krishnan"
<balaji.r.krish...@gmail.com> scribbled:

> Hi folks
>
> I have been using shell script for my admin work and recently decided to use
> perl fo all my automation. So proud I did that.
>
> Quick question:  I have been using "Select" function in shell to present
> menu to users. Do we have a "select" equivalent in perl? Or if I have a list
> of names in an array what is the best way to present them in a menu and
> prompt the user to select one from the list?

I use the print statement to present the list of items with a number, then
print a prompt (without a newline). Then use statements of the type

my $ans = <STDIN>
chomp($ans);

to get a response from the user. You can then test that response and act
accordingly. Simplest approach is to number your choices and get a number
from the user. A blank line or zero can be do nothing (it's always a good
idea to have a no operation choice).