Thanks to both Peter Scott, and Brian Fraser (who wrote me off-list).
Very informative.  I'm cleaning up a very old script that uses the &subroutine
construct and learning more Perl in the process.

> If you're worried about the speed overhead of one vs the other then either
> you are worried about the wrong thing or you have bigger problems

        I'm not concerned about speed - I was just curious from what I've read.

> The builtins are all listed in perlfunc.  It's actually not that hard to
> get them.  The only one that people habitually collide with is log().

        The only one I was concerned with was a sub called "if", but it doesn't
look like it's a built-in function.  However, just so it makes more sense to me
and to be on the safe side, I've renamed it "if_routine".

Thanks again,
Marc