Hello,

Is there away to generate a remote_user enviorment without having to use the apache popup login form? What we are thinking of doing is create a static login form, they enter their username/password, then directing them to a password protected folder with the .htaccess file in the folder.

This is setup as a password protected folder right now but what we would like to do, if possible, is to direct users to a static login form 1st., so they can enter their username/password, the same as the ones stored in the .htpasswd file used by the .htaccess file in the password protected folder. If they login successfully they would then be directed to the password protected folder but wouldn't need to enter their access info again. But I assume the remote_user enviorment would need to be created when they log in from a static form. Is this possible to do with Perl ?

What the whole idea is if they attempt to bypass the static login form and try to go directly to the password protect folder then they would be prompted to enter their username/password via the apache popup window login, but if they successfully login via the static form then go directly to the password protected folder without having to enter their username/password again. Hope I explained this clearly :)

thanks,

Mike(mickalo)Blezien