I much prefer perl to python given my recent forays into that language
(python's regex is awful!), however it has an excellent plotting package
that is very similar to matlab but supports things like marker alphas.  It's
called matplotlib, and requires scipy and numpy.

PDL is the closest thing I see in perl, but it seems to be clunky and makes
relatively ugly plots.

Any thoughts on why that is?:

(a) in python it's easier to make things like this
(b) python has more scientific users so it makes sense one would build it
(c) perl users tend to be lazier and less likely to make something like this
(d) somebody funded that development and happened to pay a python guy
(e) ??

Just curious, thanks for your thoughts.

- Bryan