On Jul 27, 10:07 am, siegfr...@heintze.com wrote:
> Sorry if this appears twice. Since it bounced back to me -- probably
> because of the HTML format -- I'm sending it again.
>
> I did some google searching and I could not find an example of a
> bidirectional asynchronous socket client. A telnet client is an example
> of a bidirectional asynchronous socket client.
>
> I don't specifically want source to a telnet client -- that would be
> much fancier than what I require and would not be helpful if the perl
> only called C++. I just want an example in pure perl (or ruby or
> python).
>
> By asynchronous I mean that reads and writes can occur at any time in
> any order with no warning.
>
> Asynchronous could also mean that we don't block while the  write is in
> progress. Blocking while the write is in progress is fine.
>
> I hope it is possible to write such a beast in perl.
>
> Let's suppose I spawn two threads, one to block on a read socket and the
> other to block on the keyboard with $inp=<STDIN> (so it can print to the
> write socket when it receives input form the keyboard). Can the first
> thread print to the console if the second thread is blocking on
> $inp=<STDIN>?
>
> Surely, someone has posted source to such a beast somewhere on the
> internet!

Although I don't have experience with it.,  POE  ( http://poe.perl.org)
offers extensive resources for this type of application including
tutorials, sample cookbook programs, etc.:

>From the POE page above:
    POE is a Perl framework for writing reactive programs.
   Cooperatively multitasked programs and networking programs
   are overlapping subsets of reactive programs.

   POE implements a single API and bridges from it to other event
   loops. A program using POE can run under any event loop that
   POE supports, with little or no modification.

--
Charles DeRykus