Emeka wrote:
Hello All,

Hello,

I would like to know how to access character from string lateral.

Say I have
$foo = "From Big Brother Africa";
I would want to print each of the characters of  $foo on its own.

In some languages string type is just array/list of characters. What is it
in Perl?

A string.

In Perl there are a few ways to do what you want:

$ perl -le'my $foo = "From Big Brother Africa"; print for split //, $foo'

$ perl -le'my $foo = "From Big Brother Africa"; print for $foo =~ /./sg'

$ perl -le'my $foo = "From Big Brother Africa"; print for map substr( $foo, $_, 1 ), 0 .. length( $foo ) - 1'

$ perl -le'my $foo = "From Big Brother Africa"; print for unpack "(a)*", $foo'

John
direction.                   -- Albert Einstein