On 11-08-08 10:23 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
I suggest splitting the files into bins. Each bin will contain the records with
the batch numbers in a certain range (say 0-999,999 ; 1,000,000-1,999,999,
etc.). You should select the bins so the numbers are spread more or less
evenly. Then you sort each bin separately, and then append the bins in order.

Well, if you want a Linux version rather than Perl, see:

man split
man sort
man comm

When you use comm(1), set its --output-delimiter to the empty string.

  --output-delimiter=''

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

Confusion is the first step of understanding.

as it is about coding.

The secret to great software:  Fail early & often.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.

"Make something worthwhile."  -- Dear Hunter