Frank Müller wrote:
dear all,

Hello,

i want to make some search and replace within a string where I can
define a set of characters, especially parenthesis, brackets etc.,
which are to be ignored.

For example, I have the following string:

sdjfh sdf sjkdfh sdkjfh sdjkf f[o]o(bar) hsdkjfh sdkljfhs  sjfh sdkj
sdjkfh sdjfh ska

A search and replace for 'foobar' should result in the following
string:

sdjfh sdf sjkdfh sdkjfh sdjkf ##f[o]o(bar)## hsdkjfh sdkljfhs  sjfh
sdkj sdjkfh sdjfh ska

$ perl -le'
$_ = "sdjfh sdf sjkdfh sdkjfh sdjkf f[o]o(bar) hsdkjfh sdkljfhs sjfh sdkj sdjkfh sdjfh ska";
print;
s{ ( \S+ ) }{ ( $x = $1 ) =~ tr/a-zA-Z//cd; "foobar" eq lc $x ? "##$1##" : $1 }xeg;
print;
'
sdjfh sdf sjkdfh sdkjfh sdjkf f[o]o(bar) hsdkjfh sdkljfhs sjfh sdkj sdjkfh sdjfh ska sdjfh sdf sjkdfh sdkjfh sdjkf ##f[o]o(bar)## hsdkjfh sdkljfhs sjfh sdkj sdjkfh sdjfh ska

John
direction.                   -- Albert Einstein