Rob,

> The multiple cpan installations is not bad it is dangerous in my opinion. I
> have seen people go white as a sheet of paper once they realized that they
> where not on the test but on the production machine and they just executed an
> rm -rf on the application server directory...
> The risk of such a simple mistake is even larger when all environments are on
> a single machine. Therefore I would personally not advise this but that might
> just be paranoid old me ;-)

        It's good to be paranoid in situations like this.  But I wouldn't let
that stop me from using perlbrew.  Once you switch to a particular version of
Perl, perlbrew keeps you there even through a restart of the computer.  As long
as you know which version you're in, you won't have any problems.  Also, you
can't inadvertently switch Perls without knowing it, since you have to manually
enter the switch command in Terminal.

        Perlbrew is one of those apps that, once you start using it, you yell
out "YES!!!" and scare everyone within earshot around you.

        If you're deleting stuff without knowing where you are, well, you
deserve to lose the data.  Besides, that's what backups are for. =;)

Marc