On 09/17/2011 08:51 PM, Rob Dixon wrote:
On 17/09/2011 20:10, Lawrence Statton wrote:
On 09/16/2011 06:10 PM, Rajeev Prasad wrote:
why do i need a web app? becuase of size of my project? I mean if it
is going to be a very big website with lot of pages and tables etc.
should i have a webapp?
apache and cgi wont cut it? (alongwith other technologies used
commonly in websites)

What do you mean by "web app"? The most common definition of that
concept is an "application with an exposed HTTP interface" - and you
need one if you choose to offer one. If you don't want to offer an app
over the web, you don't need one.

Now -- I have one client who chooses to offer two different "aspects" of
the same back end data -- a "website" variant designed for humans using
browsers, and a "webapp" variant tailored to developers who want a more
"machine friendly" source of the data, and, in fact, the "website"
instance of Apache uses the same "webapp" server that outside clients use.

This has a certain architectural charm - and most importantly allows to
totally disjoint teams to maintain the two disparate code bases ( the
backend is all DBIx::Class and XML::LibXML, while the front-end is more
LibXML and a bunch of Mason - having been converted from a giant mess of
java and XSLT)

Given that this is a Perl list,

huh?

sorry -- I didn't realize you'd never heard of DBIx::Class and the other modules from CPAN I mentioned above (okay -- I used it's common name Mason, not it's precise package name HTML::Mason -- sue me)

Those are all Perl modules that I've used when writing web application services and web sites.