Can someone tell me why I am getting the following error?

Global symbol "$quess" requires explicit package name at ./ex10-1.pl line 18.
Execution of ./ex10-1.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

I declare $guess inside the while loop. Shouldn't that suffice for the
rest of the scope?

Thank you,

Chris

#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
use strict;

my $secret = int(1 + rand 100);
# This next line may be uncommented during debugging
print "Don't tell anyone, but the secret number is $secret\n";

while (1) {
        print "Please enter a guess from 1 to 100: ";
        chomp(my $guess = <STDIN>);
        if ($guess =~ /quit|exit|^\s*$/i) {
                print "Sorry you gave up. The number was $secret.\n";
                last;
        } elsif ($guess < $secret) {
                print "Too small. Try again!\n";
        } elsif ($quess == $secret) {