On 10/3/2011 1:56 AM, Ronald Weidner wrote:
I've had mixed feelings about my
experience on this list so far.  I'm sharing these opinions because I
feel it would be awesome if this list seemed friendlier to beginners.

Several years ago I subscribed to this
list and unsubscribed almost as quick as I could.  The harshness  of
the responses seemed unwarranted and I, as a programmer exploring
perl, felt I would be happier among a different group of peers.  A
month ago, I subscribed to this list again, but this time I resolved
to having more tolerance for some of the bitterness.  I don't know
the history of the relationships forged here on this list but maybe
if I did I would understand more of what appears to be bitterness.
But I'm not sure I should have to understand.  So, to put a very fine
point on this paragraph, from the perspective of a new person on this
list, I'm witnessing what seems like excessive bitterness and
personal attacks on the skills of individuals.  The list appears
hostile IMO.

snip

I am a long-time subscriber too.  Remember Purl Girl?
I wonder what happened to her.

I appreciate the effort of those who try to make this
a more civil place to visit.  But apparently their
efforts are to naught.  These lists are free, and for
whatever reason they often attract people with peculiar
idiosyncrasies who choose to become active on the list.
It's not just a Perl thing - it happens on many of these
lists.

I feel fortunate to have a free list where I can get so
much great help.  I'll put up with the oddities of others
to have this resource available.

Mike Flannigan