Hi,
$0.02
Look on cpan for the various proc:: modules.  If you're doing something
like a file copy, and need to shell out to do something, consider looking
at :
http://search.cpan.org/~bzajac/Proc-Background-1.10/lib/Proc/Background.pm.
 For me, it works when I need to do something on the command line and
wait for it to come back to me...  Others your milage may vary...
Good luck,
Zak