On 16/12/11 14:55, "Shlomi Fish" <shlo...@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:41:52 +0000
> Phil Dobbin <phildob...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Has anybody have any experiences of installing a dev version of Perl into
>> /usr/local on Debian (I'm running Squeeze)?
>>
>> My custom version on OS X works just fine & after Googling the matter of
>> doing the same on Debian there isn't really any consensus on the subject.

> Well, you can use the following script to compile a perl distribution and put
> it under /usr/local:
>
> [QUOTE]
> #!/bin/sh
> rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
> sh Configure -de -Dprefix=/usr/local -Dusedevel
> [/QUOTE]
>
> It will require another flag if you want to enable ithreads. perlbrew may also
> prove helpeful.
>
> Otherwise, I think the Debian perl should be pretty good in comparison to
> the built-in perls shipped with some other distributions, so you can use it in
> conjunction with apt-get.

Hi, Shlomi.

Thanks for the info. I'm loathe to mess with System Perls (I made that
mistake about seven or eight years ago & don't want to repeat it) & was just
thinking of going ahead with your first example as I've done on OS X &
configuring cpan to use that.

I'll also look at perlbrew as I hadn't considered that. I use MacPorts on
the Mac box for similar stuff & had discounted using it there because of
potential conflicts.

Once again, thanks.

Cheers,

    Phil...

--
Nothing to see here... move along, move along