Hello Harry,

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:03:30 -0800 (PST)
Harry <kaichow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am confused what this variable does: $_
>
> If someone could give an example or explanation of what this variable $_ does
> in perl, that would be great!

$_ is the default variable, which gets assigned to and used in various
contexts. You can think of it as the pronoun "it" in English.

Personally, I feel that overusing $_ is not recommended in most serious
programs, because it is easily devastated, but:

1. You sometimes need to use it, like in
http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/map.html ,
http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/grep.html ,
as well as some other functions from List::Util , List::MoreUtils ,
List::UtilsBy and similar modules (and even then, it is sometimes useful to
assign it to a lexical "my" variable.).

2. It is sometimes useful in one-off programs and scripts, especially perl
-pe/perl -ne/perl -pale/perl -lane/etc. scripts (where people also allow for
omitting "use strict;" and "use warnings;".

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish