Hi Sean,

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 18:37:37 +1100
Sean Murphy <mhysnm1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> This should be a simple task. But for the life of me, I cannot work it out.
> I have a chunk of text in an scaler. I want to edit this text. I look at
> Term::ReadLine and couldn't see a way of inserting the text into the edit
> area. There is addhistory  which adds to the history buffer. but this isn't
> want I want.
>
> For example:
>
> $text = "this is a test";
> $text = function ($text); # permits full editing of line.
> print "$text\n";
>
> When script is executed. The text in $text is displayed. The cursor and
> delete commands work. So the line can be modified.
>
> so how can this be done? I haven't seen any modules that seem to permit this.
> Example code would be great.
>
> This is for a program I am writing to handle my home budgets. I am extracting
> the text from a database using DBI.

After reading https://metacpan.org/module/Term::ReadLine::Gnu I came up with
the following program which appears to start with the string "Hello". Hope it
helps:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

use Term::ReadLine;

my $rl = Term::ReadLine->new;

while (my $text = $rl->readline('$', 'Hello'))
{
    print "You've given '$text'\n";
}

Regards,