Please note that I have rearranged the order of quotes for
sanity. I hope that nobody minds or feels that I am
misrepresenting the authors..

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:58:45AM -0600, Hal Wigoda wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM, lina <lina.lastn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> >
> > use warnings;
> > use strict;
> >
> > open FILE, "<try.xpm" or die $!;
> >
> > my @line = <FILE>;
> >
> > while (<FILE>) {
> >        print $_;
> > }
>
> I don't know if this will fix it,
> but line 6 is missing a closing >.

Line 6 was:

open FILE, "<try.xpm" or die $!;

That is not missing a closing '>'. See `perldoc -f open'. The '<'
means to open the file for reading. I think it is inspired by
shell syntax for redirecting standard streams.

bash$ foo <stdin >stdout 2>stderr

Means to execute the program 'foo', with the file 'stdin' as it's
standard input stream (for reading), the file 'stdout' as its
standard output stream (for writing), and the file 'stderr' as
it's standard error stream (also for writing).

In Perl, depending on the number of arguments used, the second
argument of the open function is used to determine which mode to
open the file in. You should usually prefer the 3-argument
version of open because it's often safer (even though in these
examples below it wouldn't matter, it's still better to use it
for consistency and habit).

# Open file 'filename' for reading.
open my $fh1, '<', 'filename' or die $!;

# Open file 'filename' for writing.
open my $fh2 '>', 'filename' or die $!;

# Open file 'filename' for writing, and start the file position
# at the end of the file for appending.
open my $fh3, '>>', 'filename' or die $!;

Again, see `perldoc -f open' for details.

Regards,

--
Brandon McCaig <bamcc...@gmail.com> <bamcc...@castopulence.org>
Castopulence Software <https://www.castopulence.org/>