On 03/07/2012 08:49 PM, lina wrote:
Thanks David,

YW.  :-)

> I started from the second book, perl cookbook. 2nd edition.
I only read till 15 pages, progressed so slow, and sometimes choked by
understanding the "pack". really hard for me to understand it, so I
just skip.  meanwhile I also did some search.
It's really a long long journey.

I started with Programming Perl -- ouch!

Then I bought Learning Perl and had a far more enjoyable (and successful) learning experience.

I suggest that you save the The Perl Cookbook until after Learning Perl. Also, the cookbook isn't meant to be read cover-to-cover -- use the table of contents to find a chapter you're interested in, read the chapter introduction, and then flip through the recipes in that chapter, reading whatever catches your interest.

David