Mark,
It seems like you have a hammer, and you really want this to be a nail. It just
isn't. It's more like a paper clip.

Perl and PHP are both server side scripting languages, which means they run on
the server. If you use them, you should pick one because they serve the same
purpose. You don't need either of them to create dynamic dropdown boxes. In
fact, you don't want to use either of them in this case. If you use them, then
you need to refresh the page (or a portion of it). You don't want to send
request like that over the network, then process it by a server, return the
response back over the network, and then render it in the browser. This isn't
the best code design for things that are updating frequently. You want them to
be fast and responsive. In order to do that, you really want to run them on the
computer that already has the page loaded in memory. Memory which is much
faster than an internet connection and two separate machines processing it.

I would suggest building the dynamic boxes in javascript (which runs client
side). It has a different purpose than PHP or perl and compliments either of
them nicely.

Matt