sono...@fannullone.us wrote:

Subject: To quote variables or not

Your question is not about quoting variables, which is bad, but about quoting hash keys. See:

perldoc -q quoting

A script that I'm refactoring has global variables in two different
styles, e.g.:

$main::global->{form}->{'mailprog'}

$main::global->{form}->{mailprog}

The quote marks don't seem to make a difference, so what would be the
advantage of using them?  What are they and what do they do?  I don't
recall seeing anything like this before.

In your example the quotes do not make a difference. If you are not sure about why you should need quotes then you should probably always use them.

John
direction.                   -- Albert Einstein