Hello and thanks for volunteering your time!

I'm returning to PERL after about a year and am struggling to remaster some syntax:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use warnings;
use strict;
use diagnostics;

# Converts current directory to a list of links

my @dir;
my $name;
my $i = 0;

opendir DH, "." or die "\nCouldn't open current directory: $!\n";

while ($_ = readdir(DH)) {
next if $_ eq "." or $_ eq ".." or -d $_ or $_ eq "zlinks.pl" or $_ eq "zout.txt";
$dir[$i++] = $_;
}

open FH, "> zout.txt" or die $!;

foreach $i (@dir) {
my @title = split /\./, $dir[$i];
$name = $title[0];
print FH "<P ALIGN=CENTER><A HREF=\"$dir[$i]\" TARGET=\"_blank\">$name</A></P>\n";
}

I get an error for the line <<my @title = split /\./, $dir[$i];>>
Argument "filename.ext" isn't numeric in array element

Well, I wasn't expecting it to be, but apparently I implied it and can't figure out how.

Interestingly, the program executes with the error but only considers the first file it finds in the directory. If there are N files, it will print N links, but all using the first file name.

HELP!