Hi Jim,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Jim Gibson <jimsgib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2013, at 8:22 PM, budi pearl wrote:
>

> Why do you want to reduce your CPU usage?
>
> That may seem like a silly question (who wouldn't want to reduce their CPU
> usage), but the answer to that question will affect the suggestions you
> will get. Is your program taking too long to run? Is it slowing down other
> programs? Are you on a shared system and the other users complaining about
> your program being a CPU hog?

"Are you on a shared system and the other users complaining about your
program being a CPU hog?"

Yes, this is my problem. I have no problem if my program take longer to
finished as its not too critical and not time sensitive. But yes, it
heavily use I/O so it alway consume proc and cpu.

A side question. I slurp big files and put into hash. Does %hash = () or
%hash = undef will clear up and return free memory to system?

--budi