On Apr 13, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Sherman Willden wrote:

> I installed perlbrew then I used it to install v5.16.3. That installed to
> my home directory. I read about installing to /opt. Do I just substitute
> /usr/share/perl where I presently have v5.14.2 for /oopt? Will that also
> install to all the other required places? Will it install the perl
> executable to /usr/bin? Do I really want to install v5.16.3 to the default
> location?

It is generally best to let perlbrew install to its default locations. That
way, you don't interfere with any previously-installed Perl versions. If
perlbrew doesn't end up working for you, you can uninstall it and fall back to
your older versions.

One drawback is that you have to install optional modules for each version
separately. You also have to pay attention to which version you are using, or
you might end up using the wrong one (although Perl developers have done a
pretty good job of backwards compatibility, so that if you do end up using a
version unexpectedly, it will either work OK or complain immediately that your
Perl program is not compatible.)