shawn wilson wrote:
> I asked this in #perl-help and was told that by the time perl checked
> the version, the module was already loaded - is there a way to check
> the version without completely loading the module so that when one
> failed, I could move on to another module of the same name whose
> version might succeed?

Why not specify the minimum version number that your script requires in
the use statement?  If that version is not available, then what's the
point of going forward?

If you don't want to do that, then you could use Module::Load::Conditional
to test if the desired version is loadable.

http://search.cpan.org/~bingos/Module-Load-Conditional-0.54/lib/Module/Load/Conditional.pm

--
Ron Bergin