On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:18:04 -0700, Jim Gibson wrote:
> It's pretty easy to find out:

> 50% echo '$x = 1;' | perl

> 51% echo 'use 5.12.0; $x = 1;' | perl
> Global symbol "$x" requires explicit package name at - line 1.
> Execution of - aborted due to compilation errors.

> 52% perl -v

> This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 3 (v5.12.3) built for
> darwin-thread-multi-2level
> (with 2 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

My curiosity had been stimulated & I came up with the below
before I logged on to email it & read your reply.
(I use Cygwin Perl 5.14.0)

#!/usr/bin/perl
$var = "A_Value";   # No error produced.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
$var = "A_Value"
# Output
# Global symbol "$var" requires explicit package name at ./t line 4.
# Execution of ./t aborted due to compilation errors.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use 5.12.0;

--
Peter Gordon, pete...@netspace.net.au on 08/06/2013