Hello,

        This is a one-time post to announce that the SurfShopPRO Perl shopping
cart system is going open source.  Our site hasn't been fully updated yet, but
you can download the cart and check it our for yourself.  We are looking for
developers, designers, and testers.

http://www.surfshopcart.com/pages/pro.php

        By doing this, we hope to generate enough interest in this project so
that we can bring SurfShop up-to-date and turn it into a powerful example as to
why someone should use Perl for e-commerce again.  In my searches on the web,
I've found that there are very few, if any, good open source Perl carts out
there that will work on shared servers.  Hopefully we can turn that around.

        SurfShop has been around since 1999 and is still used by quite a few
companies around the world.  As is, it's a very good cart to use - it's stable
and it's fast.  However, it's lacking some features that more modern carts
have, the default template really needs a face lift, and the Perl code could
use some updating, as well.

        If anyone is interested in joining this project, please download the
script and join our forum.  There you'll find the official listing of fixes
needed and new features planned (we're always open to suggestions).  We will
also be implementing a plugin/module system and will let developers and
designers sell their modules and templates though our online store.

Pros:
        - full featured, rock solid, Perl based e-commerce system
        - simple to install with autoconfig script
        - powerful calculation engine
        - full listing available on our site --
http://www.surfshopcart.com/pages/pro2.php

Cons:
        - old code -- needs to be updated to modern Perl
        - HTML templates are looking a bit stale, too -- needs an HTML5 makeover
        - there are a few fixes that are needed -- see the list in our forum **
        - lacks some features to compete with the big boys -- see the list in
our forum **

        I'm new to the open source community, so any help that anyone would be
willing to give me will be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to contact me
off-list.

Thank you,
Frank Jance
SurfShopCART

** These lists are in our Programmer's Corner forum category which is viewable
only by moderator's permission.  If you'd like to be included in our
programmer's group, simply create an account in our forum, then email us asking
to be added to the group.  Say that you heard about us on the Beginning Perl
mailing list.