Parysatis Sachs wrote:
Hi everyone!

Hello,

I'm new to this mailing list as well as to programming and Perl in general.
So there is a chance I might ask relatively stupid questions with very
obvious answers... Please bear with me!

So, here it goes:

I have a very long string with lots of Ns in it, like this:
attttgctagccgagctaNNNNNNatggctaNNNNNNNatgcccctgaNNNNNNatg

So, I want to get rid of the Ns and get ONE SINGLE newline for each group
of Ns

So far I've managed to do this:

if ($joinedDNA =~ s/N+/\n/g) {

$joinedDNA =~ s/\R//g;

}

That should be just:

$joinedDNA =~ s/N+/\n/g;

Or just:

$joinedDNA =~ tr/N/\n/s;

The statement:

$joinedDNA =~ s/\R//g;

removes all newlines.

John
direction.                   -- Albert Einstein