On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:21 AM, Yonghua Peng <sys...@mail2000.us> wrote:
> From perldoc -f stat:
>
> If "stat" is passed the special filehandle consisting of an underline, no
> stat is done, but the current
> contents of the stat structure from the last "stat", "lstat", or filetest
> are returned. Example:
>
> if (-x $file && (($d) = stat(_)) && $d < 0) {
> print "$file is executable NFS file\n";
> }
>
> (This works on machines only for which the device number is negative under
> NFS.)
>

> We are looking for openstack and python developers.
> Please check: http://www.nsbeta.info/jobs
>
> Wed, 19 Mar 2014 01:44:15 -0400 from shawn wilson <ag4ve...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM, John W. Krahn <jwkr...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Shaji Kalidasan wrote:
>

>> or stat() or lstat()
>
> I don't remember seeing that reusing i?stat would not duplicate the
> stat call...?

Oh, I guess I was thinking that using the file name repeats the stat
(which it does). Since I was complaining about the ugliness of '_'.
However, you're right - that works as well as (-f _) <-- that doesn't
look weird as shit? I've got issues moving my fingers into typing
that.... Whatever, y'all answered my question and I learned something
(though damn them for not just making another perlvar or something
else to do this) - I appreciate the help/info.