I have Apache 1.3.20 running on my Win2k machine so maybe this'll help you.

In the http.conf file, I use the defaults except the following line is
uncommented so it'll use the Windows registry instead of the shebang line:
ScriptInterpreterSource registry

In "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\cgi-bin" is my test script,
hello.pl.
This is hello.pl:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "<h1>Hello World!\n</h1>";
print "<p>Some Text\n</p>";

When I point the browser to http://localhost/cgi-bin/hello.pl I see the
HTML formatted text. I noticed in your perl's shebang line there was a
space after the #!, that might not be right.

Hope that helps.
Dave