On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Daniel Staal <dst...@usa.net> wrote:
> My point is that if you think that's necessary, why not say so in your
> module?  (Where others can see that requirement, and fulfil it on a
> case-by-case basis, instead of a large scale toolchain modification for all
> users.)

It's a chicken and egg situation.  Before Perl v5.10.1, CPAN clients
that shipped with Perl did not support configure_requires.
Presumably, once at least those versions of the clients are installed,
any distribution can configure_requires (or use other prereqs) to
specify and get what it wants.

And, as we occasionally see, even still the toolchain is buggy.

A PASS report from an updated toolchain tells people what is possible
to achieve.

A FAIL report from an outdated toolchain tells people either that the
distribution is bad or that the toolchain is broken.

Ambiguous causes of failure are a problem because it takes extra human
effort to disambiguate -- effort which is often in short supply.
Providing an updated toolchain as much as possible for smoking
optimizes for people's time.

The more people find CPAN testers to be a waste of time, the less
attention they will pay to the information it generates.

David