On Wed, 07 May 2014 15:24:05 -0400
Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I am a complete and total novice to irc.  Never used and never wanted
> to before.
>
> Rather than put my vast ignorance on display and annoy the heck out of
> others on the channel, I'd like to extract information from the irc
> servers and write it to disk.
>
> My most often used scripting language is perl so I wondered if there
> is already a perl module that will allow me to do that.

Bot::BasicBot will allow you to write an IRC bot; irssi, XChat and
others support Perl scripting for "plugins" to add features to the
client.

However, I think there are better tools at your disposal...

> Here is an example of the kind of mess you can get into:
>
> Connecting to irc.freenode.net and foolishly but at least not
> malignantly using the 'list' command.
>
> /list
>
> It spewed out so many lines that just kept coming until I finally
> ^ c'ed over and over to get it to stop.

Yeah, /list is a useless command on big networks.

On Freenode, try "/q alis help" - alis is a channel listing service
which allows you to search for channels by pattern.

There's also irc.netsplit.de's IRC server/channel search engine:

http://irc.netsplit.de/channels/?net=freenode

--
David Precious ("bigpresh") <dav...@preshweb.co.uk>
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/     www.preshweb.co.uk/twitter