Peter Holsberg wrote:
I think I've isolated the section that is not doing what I want.

open (FHIN, "$recapfile") or die $!;

That would be better as:

open my $FHIN, '<', $recapfile or die "Cannot open '$recapfile' because: $!";

my $indexb; ## for the recapfile array
my $ofile;

You never use this variable, it should be:

my @ofile;

# Create new array containing all the lines of recapfile up to
# the string RESULTS OF BOARD 1

XYZZY:
        while (<FHIN>)
        {
                last XYZZY if  / RESULTS OF BOARD 1/;
                chomp;
                $ofile[$indexb++] .= $_;

That would be better as:

    push @ofile, $_;

     }
close FHIN;

To see what was put into ofile, a line at a time, I used

foreach (@ofile) {
   print "$_\n";
}

Is that correct?

That is correct.

John
direction.                   -- Albert Einstein