When I think of the word "beginners", I think of people starting out to
learn perl and looking for advice.

I'm actually not a beginner but a sort of "returner". Almost 80 years
old, I use an occasional perl script to do a job that has to be repeated
a couple of times a week, or one that is used once or twice for
something that is too tedious to be done by hand.

I used "A Little Book on Perl" (199) as my guide, because it is simple
and uses the constructs that are easily understandable when/if I ever
look at the script again. I was never a real perl programmer but knew
enough to get by. Did I mention that this was 20 or more years ago?

People have been very helpful to me here, but unfortunately, because I'm
not looking to learn perl, much of their advice goes unheeded despite
its value to a beginner.

So what I'm asking is, how does a person like me ask questions here that
are likely to produce what I need?

Thanks.