Subject: Re: Unable to install Net::IP
From: John SJ Anderson <geneh...@genehack.org>
Date: Tue, December 02, 2014 3:54 pm
To: z...@psoftulsa.com, Perl Beginners <beginners@perl.org>

Whenever you have a module installation fail, your first step should
be to ask: is it failing for other people?

Results of CPAN Testers (which is basically a distributed testing
network) are available on the dist's MetaCPAN page. For Net::IP,
that's here: https://metacpan.org/pod/Net::IP

(Spoiler: it has a tiny number of fails but a _huge_ number of passes.
It works for almost everybody.)

Based on those results, the good news is, it seems like the module
itself (probably) isn't broken, but instead, there's something about
your machine that isn't working for it.

Based on the output you have shown, my first question would be: do you
actually have make installed?

If you do have make installed, the next step would be to download the
dist tarball yourself (there's a download link on that MetaCPAN page),
expand it, cd into it, and run 'perl Makefile.PL && make', and see
what the output of that is. I suspect make is giving an error that's
getting eaten by the cpan client, for whatever reason.

(Aside: doing the make as root is not the best idea. (Least privilege)++)

chrs,
john.