On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Tiago Hori <tiago.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried Text::CSV_XS? It allows you to set both the separatist and eol
> and it also lets you use complex separators.
>
> T.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 16, 2014, at 4:05 PM, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolc...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi;
>>
>>  I've got some strings that I need to parse the value(s) off of the key.
>>
>>  The key is (possibly) space-separated and terminate by a colon, and
>> the value is delimited by single quotes.  But there are (potentially)
>> additional values for the key.
>>
>> Here is one real-world example (excerpt from the output of VBoxManage
>> showvminfo vm):
>> Name: 'tuba', Host path: '/Users/kwolcott/Shared/tuba' (machine
>> mapping), writable
>>
>> What I want to parse is the part contained by single quotes.
>>
>> Perhaps I'd better use a capturing regex instead of split?
>>
>> Perhaps something like:
>> $example_string =~ m|'($1)'|;
>> $shared_folder = $1;
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this?
>>
>> What kind of string format is this called?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ken Wolcott

Well, I had to look at
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrequick.html#Extracting-matches to find
out how much I had forgotten about extracting matches from a regex :-)

This might be inefficient, but it seems to work:

$shared_folder =~ m|\'([-A-Za-z/_]+)\'.+'([-A-Za-z/_]+)\'|;
print $2 . "\n";

Would be good to come up with something better, hopefully...

Thanks,
Ken