On 5/25/2015 12:31 PM, Lawrence Statton wrote:

I sent this to the list, but it seems to have gotten clogged in the tubes ... here's another copy

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: LWP/Protocol Errors
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 12:13:11 -0500
From: Lawrence Statton <lawre...@cluon.com>
To: beginners@perl.org

On 05/25/2015 12:02 PM, Mike Blezien wrote:
Hello,

I recently setup a Paypal IPN script which worked fine for some time now
but now all of a sudden I keep getting these error message:
*
**Can't connect to www.paypal.com:443 (certificate verify failed)**
**LWP::Protocol::https::Socket: SSL connect attempt failed with unknown
error error:14090086:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed at
/usr/local/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol/http.pm line 41.

*I use same IPN script on other servers without any issues except one.
Is it possible that port 443 is being block or not open due a firewall
on the server?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

--

While it is *POSSIBLE* that a blocked port is causing your grief, that
is not the most likely explanation.

Has it *NEVER* worked on this server, or worked until recently? Your
email was vague on this point.

The exact error is telling you that the OpenSSL library (which is
ultimately where LWP gets its SSL support) cannot verify the origin of
the certificate chain that Paypal is offering.

Compare the contents of /etc/ssl/certs (the exact directory will vary
based on which Linux distribution you are using, but it will be
something similar) on a 'working' server with the 'not-working' server.

openssl s_client will allow you to attempt a connection and turn on
substantial diagnostics to see the certificate that is being offered by
the server, and (most importantly) the issuer for that certificate and
the issuer's hash -- which will lead you to find the correct CA cert you
need to add.

(Alternatively, if your problem *is* a blocked port, you will get enough
diagnostic from s_client to show you that it can't even GET the server's
cert -- but the error message makes me 99% certain that you are already
past that point in the SSL handshake)

After further investigation running the following command from the shell prompt:

openssl s_client -host paypal.com -port 443

I get these results:

CONNECTED(00000003) --- no peer certificate available --- No client certificate CA names sent --- SSL handshake has read 0 bytes and written 0 bytes --- New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE) Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported Compression: NONE Expansion: NONE ---

This is first time using this paypal script on this server and has not worked yet. I've used similar script on other servers without issues or other problems.
Is this a port issue or something else?

thanks,

Mike