> On Nov 8, 2017, at 5:16 PM, thelip sia <hei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> you can use backtick to store the output.
> $list = `ssh usern...@domain.com '/usr/bin/perl /path/to/dir-list.pl'`;

        Thanks, Heince.  I had mistakenly thought those were synonymous with
each other.  And, of course, this morning, doing a new search produced the
backtick solution.  However, every example I found was for a unix command, not
a perl script.

        Using the backticks returns nothing, so perhaps my remote script may
not be set up properly to "export" it's result?  Sorry - I've never dealt with
WAN solutions like this before so I don't even know how to put it.

5 hours later...

        I've since decided to offload a portion of my local script to the
remote script to avoid the back-and-forth.  However, I'm still curious if this
can even be done.

        As I mentioned, my remote script produces an array of directory names
that I need to use in my local script.  The array is populated correctly, but I
can't see it in my local script.

        Can the result of a remote script be used in a local script by calling
it via SSH or some other means?  If so, how do you get the result back?  This
is not a CGI script - that was only an example path I used.

Thanks,
Frank