On Oct 22, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Asad <asad.hasan2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> file1 :
> Patching tool version 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Fri Feb 23 01:10:28 2018
>
> Bootstrapping registry and package to current versions...done
> statement ERR-2001: table is corrupt check for cause
>
> could not determine the current status.
>
> file2 :
>
>  LOG file opened at 02/03/18 01:11:05
>
> DUP-05004:   statement1
> DUP-05007:   statement2
>

>  LOG file opened at 02/03/18 01:11:14
>
> DUP-05004:   statement1
>
> DUP-05007:   statement2
>

>  LOG file opened at 02/23/18 01:10:33
>
> DUP-05004:   statement1
>
> DUP-05007:   statement2
>
> I need to look for the ERR-2001 in file1 if it matches then go to file2 and
> print the message nearest to the timestamp found in file1 within two minutes
> of range .
>
> so in this case file1 :  Fri Feb 23 01:10:28 2018
>                    range   file1 +2 mins :02/23/18 01:12:28
> check in file 2 nearest to file1 and within range :     02/23/18 01:10:33
>
> how do i compare two timestamps in different format and within range  ?

You would first convert the two timestamps to a common format, preferably one
that used a numerical value to express times. I know of two such: the Unix
epoch time that uses an integer to represent the number of seconds since 1 Jan
1970 UTM and the Julian date that uses a floating-point number to represent the
number of days since 1 Jan 4713 BCE.

Are you looking for a Perl solution or a Python one?

For Perl, you should investigate time and date modules available on CPAN, such
as Date::Manip or Date::Calc.