> On Nov 24, 2018, at 12:49 PM, David Precious <dav...@preshweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
>  I went to perldoc perlop expecting to be able to find a
> section to point the OP at as a "here's the documentation for it", and
> couldn't find anything particularly useful.

I was able to find this in “perldoc perlop”:

 Assignment Operators

    "=" is the ordinary assignment operator.

    Assignment operators work as in C. That is,

        $x += 2;

    is equivalent to

        $x = $x + 2;

    although without duplicating any side effects that dereferencing the
    lvalue might trigger, such as from "tie()". Other assignment operators
    work similarly. The following are recognized:

         x=