I didn't try to read and fully absorb what you've been saying.  I see
mention of PDFs...

So if you're trying to work with PDF files, the first thing you can do is
Google "Perl PDF extract information".  If that comes up empty, or points
you to external tools like an external module or command to help you, you
may just have to use it.

Start small...  Maybe you don't want to use some kind of external PDF tool,
for example, well make that a future goal to write your own Perl code to
handle it, and maybe it's not even possible or it's going to be quite a bit
more involved than you think it could be.

Being a novice, you have to realize there are certain limitations to
things.  In other words, Perl maybe can't do EVERYTHING you want it to.